Employment Law Attorneys Represent Employers and Employees
There are California state laws as well as federal regulations that establish certain obligations on the part of employers. If employers do not follow the rules, they can be sued by their employees. Some legal requirements of employers include, but are not limited to:
- Paying the minimum wage: Federal law establishes a minimum wage that must be complied with. A state can require a greater minimum wage than the federal one and if it does, employers must comply with it.
- Complying with over-time laws: This is a complex area of the law that has rules and exceptions to rules and a mathematical calculation to use to determine a workweek.
- Providing Workers’ Compensation: Employers must provide Workers’ Compensation benefits to all of their workers.
- Paying into a fund for unemployment insurance: Some companies may be exempt and there are other aspects of the law where a labor attorney can help.
- Providing a workplace free from harassment: This means it must be free from sexual or other types of harassment.
- Providing a workplace free from discrimination: This means it must be free from discrimination based upon age, gender, gender identity, disability, marital status, race, national origin, religion and sexual orientation.
Employees are forbidden to retaliate against any employee who complains that an employer violated any law relating to employment and labor. Complaining employees may not be fired, reassigned, demoted or denied any benefits, including a promotion, based on their complaint. The laws are enforced by the California Fair Employment and Housing Agency (FEHA)and/or the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
If you are an employer against whom an employee has made allegations that you violated labor or Fair Employment laws, or an employee who believes your employer has violated labor or Fair Employment laws, call us at North County HainesLaw in Escondido. Our attorneys have more than 21 years of labor law experience and serve clients in San Diego and Riverside Counties.